Help us change the world!
At TechSoup you'll find the raw energy of a start-up, an extraordinary vision, and a group of brilliant, talented, quirky people who believe fiercely that the benefits of technology should be available to everyone! We are a nonprofit organization that believes that technology is a powerful enabler for social change
The Director of Content Marketing oversees all marketing content initiatives, both internal and external across multiple platforms and formats to drive sales, engagement, retention, leads and positive customer behavior. This individual is an expert in all things related to content and channel optimization, brand consistency, segmentation and localization, analytics and meaningful measurement. The position collaborates with the departments of public relations, communications, marketing, customer service, IT and human resources to help define both the brand story and the story as interpreted by the customer.
The Director of Content Marketing should think like a digital publisher/journalist, leading the development of content initiatives in all forms to drive new and current business. This may include the following;
- Ensure all content is on-brand, consistent in terms of style, quality and tone of voice, and optimized for search and user experience for all channels of content including online, social media, email, shopping cart, mobile, video, print and in-person. This is to be done for each buyer persona and vertical.
- Accountable for all content marketing initiatives to drive traffic, engagement, leads, that deliver sales and customer retention and supports KPIs.
- Develop a functional content calendar producing content for vertical and particular persona groups.
- Map out a content strategy that supports and extends marketing initiatives, both short- and long-term, determining which methods work for the brand and why. Continuous evolvement of strategy is a must. Provide strategic plan and integrate content across the global network
- Collaborate across functions & departments to deliver an effective content marketing strategy and education plan to meet the business objectives and KPIs.
- This role requires a brand publisher mindset: create the content our audience is looking for and then optimize the path to conversion and engagement.Content requirements include;
- Basic SEO understanding, content categorization and structure, content development, distribution and measurement.
- Development of editorial governance so content is consistent with our brand voice, style and tone.
- Map content and collateral in syndication and production calendars to marketing campaigns linking with communication strategy and organization workflows
- Provide channel management of digital content hubs and organize all derivative content across the omnichannels, including email and newsletter distribution.
- Understand basic best practices of the main social media channels and understand which content approaches works across the omnichannels
- Measurement and optimization of the content program will be required on a regular and ongoing basis.
- Management of all creative resources including designers, writers, and other personnel
- Integration of content programs with brand campaigns to drive brand and KPIs.
- Lead development of derivative content, learning management system courses, webinars, blogs, articles and e-book production for syndication across the omnichannel.
- Supervise writers, editors, content strategists; be an arbiter of best practices in grammar, messaging, writing, and style.
- Conduct ongoing usability tests to gauge content effectiveness. Gather data and handle analytics (or supervise those who do) and make recommendations based on those results. Working with owners of particular content to revise and measure particular content and marketing goals.
- Develop standards, systems and best practices (both human and technological) for content creation, distribution, maintenance, content retrieval and content repurposing, including the real-time implementation of content strategies.
- Leverage market data to develop content themes/topics and execute a plan to develop the assets that support a point of view and educate customers that leads to critical behavioral metrics.
- Establish work flow for requesting, creating, editing, publishing, and retiring content. Work with technical team to implement appropriate CMS.
- Conduct periodic competitive audits.
- Supervise the maintenance of content inventories and matrices.
- Ensure consistent global experience and implement appropriate localization/translation strategies.
Experience and Education Required:
- Bachelor's degree in English, Journalism, Public Relations or related communications field.
- MBA in marketing a plus.
- 10-15 years of experience as a respected leader in multichannel content creation (publishing, journalism, etc.).
- Experience with creating compelling messages for different target demographics. Crisis communications experience a plus.
- Expertise in all major business software applications (Adobe Creative Suite, Microsoft Office, etc.).
- HR-related experience including hiring, managing, performance reviews, compensation packages, etc. required.
- Multilingual abilities a major plus.
- Audience development and subscription strategies experience a plus.
This role requires a combination marketing and publishing mindset, that creates content for TechSpup’s audience and then optimizing the path to conversion. In essence, the Director is the corporate storyteller that must be empathetic toward the pain points of the customer.
- Proven editorial skills. Outstanding command of the English (or primary customer) language.
- Training as a print or broadcast journalist and has a “nose” for the story.
- Training in how to tell a story using words, images, or audio, and an understanding of how to create content that draws an audience (it is critical that the Director retain an “outsider’s perspective” much like that of a journalist.)
- The ability to lead and inspire large teams of creative personnel and content creators to achieve organization's stated goals.
- Skill at both long-form content creation and real-time (immediate) content creation and distribution strategies and tactics.
- The ability to think like an educator, intuitively understanding what the audience needs to know and how they want to consume it.
- A passion for new technology tools and usage of those tools within your own blogs and social media outreach. Social DNA a plus!
- Clear articulation of the business goal behind the creation of a piece (or series) of content.
- Leadership skills required to define and manage a set of goals involving diverse contributors and content types
- Project management skills to manage editorial schedules and deadlines within corporate and ongoing campaigns. Ability to work in a 24 hour project cycle-utilizing teams or contractors in other countries.
- Familiarity with principles of marketing (and the ability to adapt or ignore them as dictated by data).
- Excellent negotiator and mediator
- Incredible people skills
- Basic technical understanding of HTML, XHTML, CSS, Java, web publishing, Flash, etc.
- Fluency in web analytics tools (Google Analytics), social media marketing applications (HootSuite, Marketo etc.) and leading social media monitoring platforms
- A willingness to embrace change and to adapt strategies on the fly
- Great powers of persuasion and presentation (PowerPoint)
- Experience creating a resource or library of content organized indicating SEO, translations and version control.
- Continually learning the latest platforms, technology tools and marketing solutions
- Able to screen out sales pitches and look for the relevant brand and customer story
Learn About Us
Since 1987, we’ve assembled a worldwide network of individuals and organizations that share this conviction. This network — one that you likely belong to — includes foundations and corporations, governments and NGOs, social entrepreneurs and volunteers. Together, these unlikely allies have developed sustainable, community-driven technology solutions to meet today’s most urgent social challenges.
Take a look at how we have impacted the social sector and civil society. Read our 2014 Year In Review Report at http://yearinreview.techsoup.org/